Monday, September 29, 2008

Sleepless in Guilford-HELP

Sleep is something of the past. B used to be the best sleeper, from the day he was born you could just lay him down and he would drift right off to sleep..Until this past july. Now going to bed is a chore, a chore for all of us. We read a book and then say good night, and before you even have the door shut he stands up and calls you. Now we tried letting him work it out himself and he cried for 2 hours....so what we have been doing is going in and he lays back down and we cover him w/ his blanket..on a good night we go in once, on a bad night, we go in Lord only knows how many times for up to 1.5 hours....last night was one of those nights...i just don't know what to do, and it's turned into a game, he will yell that he can't put his arms under the covers, and what he wants you to do is go in and pick up the blanket so he can put his arms under, or like today at nap time, he was laying nice, and then KICKED off his blanket and yelled that he needed me to put it back on. I have tried everything, teaching him how to put the blanket back on, etc...NOTHING WORKS...I even got books from the library all about going to sleep..and we talk about them too...We are all exhausted...and need some help, and I just don't know what to do...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not really sure what to do to help... but you certainly have my sympathies...

Anonymous said...

Well....i'll offer what we do for E. But she was always a horrible sleeper until she turned 1.5. Anyway, I would suggest letting him work it out. I know you said he cried for 2 hours one night....and has horrible as it is...it's what worked for Eva.

Because, yes, it is a game to them. He is manipulating you. (I know...but he's TOO cute for that!) So stick to your guns and try to let him figure it out himself. Tell him that it's time for bed and you will see him in the morning. He's a big boy and he can go nigh-nigh by himself. And leave. Uh...horrible. I know. But try 3-4 nights of this and see how he does. It only took Eva 2 nights.

Good luck!!! ((HUGS!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm sure that makes it even more difficult with you being at your parents' house. It doesn't usually last long but those first few nights are rough. Good luck at nap time! E is slowly giving up her nap...she naps about 50% of the time but I leave her in there for an hour regardless. They need that down time alone. G/L!!!