Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Neurology Update

Ok SO we are home from the neurologist and they feel that B is having somethign called periodic paralysis...which when I looked it up seems quite possible.....
When I explained all of B's sypmtoms to them, they told me that they felt that he had periodic paralysis...caused by a potassium defficiency.
They also said that really finding out would be to test his level WHILE the episode is happening...and that typically it is genetic, but that new forms are always arrising and he could have a new strain...
I did some research online and hontestly I feel like this could be what B has, but at the same time I am so anxious to have an answer that I may not be as rational as others.
For those of you who don't know For about a year has been having these episodes that we were calling seizure like episdoes where he would lose ability to stand/speak, and then vomit the contents of his stomach and then sleep for a while...
he has been through the ringer, he has had EVERY test known to man for this and has seen EVERY kind of specialist...Before meeting this neurologist everyone told me (dr's that is) not to worry b/c B was ahead in his development both physical and cognative and that I should not worry..However SOMETHING is wrong and I don't care how darn smart he is, I want to know what is causing these episodes..
I promise to update as I have info..

3 comments:

-Bridget said...

At least it sounds like they are close to a diagnosis and it sounds like there is something they can do about it. Keep us updated on your little man. He's a trooper.

Steph said...

ITA w/Bridget- I'm glad you're getting closer to having some answers and knowing how to help your little guy.

Drew Bairstow said...

Oh, Joc. I can't imagine all of the angst you've endured. It sounds hopeful that an answer is near. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, B and big B.